Friday, October 26, 2007

Random thoughts

Whew!

There will be a National Lacrosse League season after all. Thank goodness. The owners and the players' union agreed to terms yesterday in a last-ditch effort to save the season. You wouldn't believe how much sleep I lost worrying I wouldn't be able to watch the Minnesota Swarm this season.

Whew, too!

On a more serious note, the Georgia Supreme Court voted 4-3 to release Genarlow Wilson from prison after the 21-year-old had served more than two years of a 10-year sentence. The court ruled the sentence was "cruel and unusual punishment". Wilson's crime? Engaging in consensual oral sex as a 17-year-old with a 15-year-old girl. That's never happened before. (Not that I'm condoning premarital sex, but the punishment should fit the crime.) Prior to his trial and imprisonment, Wilson was a promising gridiron star in high school as well as an honor student. But because of an archaic law, he may have missed out on the chance to fulfill his football dreams, if not his educational ones. Kudos to the court for doing the right thing.

Toss him off the balcony

Maybe, Michael Vick is getting off too easy. A judge in South Carolina sentenced a man to three years in prison for tossing a 10-month-old puppy off a balcony during an argument with his girlfriend. The puppy had to be put down after suffering severe injuries. Vick, purportedly, had pit bulls killed in heinous ways, and he got one year in prison. Hmmm…. If anybody ever tossed my MJ off a balcony, I'll tell ya, they'd follow her right over.

Wild times

Through eight games this season, the Minnesota Wild allowed a miniscule 11 goals in compiling a 7-0-1 record. In their past two games, the Wild have given up nine regulation goals in losing outright and in a shootout on three-game their Western road trip. Here's wagering Backstrom & Co. come back strong in Colorado Sunday to finish the swing.

Bad Brad

If Vikings coach Brad Childress does not give the ball to Adrian Peterson more than, and I mean way more than 13 times at home against the Eagles Sunday, he should be shot. Or perhaps something a little more humane. All I'm saying is it's a travesty how poorly he is using the best running back to come out of college since LT.

Rox and Sox

The Rockies come back and make this a classic World Series in the thin air of Colorado, or so says my gut. But then again, my gut went through college surviving on Ritz Bits and Diet Dr. Pepper. Ultimately though, the Red Sox are just too deep and talented. Goodness, I hate Boston right now. Big Papi, The Freak, KG – all in Beantown. I hope all y'all Bostonians choke on your chowder!

Can't hardly wait

For:

Bowling next week. After the third game last night, I think I'm onto something! I don't know, but I'm excited. Then again, a 148 just might be a sign of the impending apocalypse.

Friday Night Lights. Tonight. Second season's heating up. And good gracious is Lyla hot.

Until next time…

No comments: