Thursday, October 25, 2007

I wanna be Tom Brady (written 10/15/07)

The Brady Bunches and Patriot Games

Two observations that are true in my mind: I have a huge man-crush on Tom Brady, AND the Patriots are unequivocally the best football team I have ever laid eyes on.


Sunday, the Patriots played the Cowboys in just the fifth meeting in NFL history of two unbeaten teams (with at least 5-0 records). It was supposed to be a Super Bowl preview, and it looked to be when Dallas pulled ahead 24-21 in the third quarter. Not a problem for Tom Terrific and the Pats, who cruised for 27 points on their next five possessions to blister the 'Boys 48-27.


Brady's throwing TDs in bunches – 21 through six games after his 5 TDs (should have been six – weak push off call against Moss negated another) – and is on pace to throw a mind-blowing 56 this season, seven better than Peyton's record of two years ago. He is otherworldly. The needle on the scale of who's a better QB, Peyton or Brady has officially swung heavily in favor of everybody's favorite cover boy, away from the world's biggest pitchman. (Did I mention, he dates a supermodel? And he's throwing to Randy Moss? Pardon me, I'm drooling on myself right now.)


In three weeks, New England will travel to Indy to take on the Colts in what will be hyped as the "Game of the Century", proceed to destroy the defending champs and continue on their march of destiny – to a perfect 19-0 season and their fourth Super Bowl title. And Moss and myself (for writing about my boy constantly for the past 10 years) will be vindicated.


As for the other 81, screw it, he ain't even worth mentioning.


Adrian is not a girl's name

In fact, there's probably going to be a slew of Minnesota boys born in the next few months that draw that moniker after Sunday's slaying of the Bears by Adrian Peterson. Zowwiieee!


All Minnesota's rookie BACKUP running back extraordinaire did was burn through Chicago on TD runs of 67, 73 and 35 yards en route to 224 yards on just 20 carries. And his 49-yard kickoff return after the Bears had improbably rallied to tie the score set up Ryan Longwell's game-winning 55-yard FG as his 361 all-purpose yards were a rookie record.


I can only recall one other rookie breaking into the league and absolutely redefining his position immediately. It was a decade ago. He also wore purple. And 84. Need any more hints?


If LT hadn't broken out Sunday for the 'Bolts, I'd be hard-pressed to rate anybody in the league higher than AP at running back.


The only downside to this is Peterson may inadvertently save Brad Childress' job with his singularly stupendous skills. But then again, if I know Chilly, he's awfully good at stopping the Vikings offense. God knows, he's the only one who can slow down Peterson. (Any wagers that he'll continue to start Chester Taylor?)


Stupid is…

What a moron, and what I mean by that, is what an idiot, or to clarify, what a do-da-doo!


I should have my head examined. Not only did I sit Adrian Peterson in two of my fantasy leagues, costing myself high points for the week in both, but I also put my Last Man Standing life on the backs of the Arizona Freakin' Cardinals!


One of only 43 guys remaining for a large cash prize with BOTH the Patriots and the Colts in my pocket, not to mention the Chargers and Ravens, both of whom were obvious picks this week, and I talked myself into the CARDINALS?! Hey genius, why would you put your hopes on the brittle Kurt Warner? Sure enough, two minutes into the game, he's out, Tim Freakin' Rattay is in, and of course, the Cardinals squander a late fourth-quarter lead to 43-year-old Vinny Freakin' Testaverde.


And I went 5-7 on my spread picks from Friday.


I will now blindfold myself and stroll into oncoming traffic.


Random thoughts

The Minnesota Wild are now 5-0 after their third shutout of the season. And it wasn't Nik Backstrom, but rookie Josh Harding in net. Wonder if they'll move up from 12th in this week's ESPN power rankings. Then again being the only undefeated team in the NHL is probably only good enough to bump them up to eighth or so. Some R-E-S-P-E-C-T, please!


Friday Night Lights. Watch it. You won't be sorry.


Chuck looks like it will be pretty decent tonight. They're adding another super-hot secret agent to the mix with the one they have on already. Yowsers! Though the storyline is a bit sketchy, the vixens make this show well worth watching. (What does suck is it goes up against one of the best half-hour sitcoms out there, How I Met Your Mother.)


I still can't believe I picked the Arizona Freakin' Cardinals with the Patriots and Colts still in my pocket. Dumbest smart kid I know. (Hold on while I slam my head repeatedly on my desk. Maybe blood loss will help.)


A Cleveland-Colorado World Series. Lookin' good, eh? Nobody believed me when I said it a few weeks ago. Uh-huh. Who da man now?


If you would have told me two months ago that South Florida would be No. 2 in the BCS rankings (coo-coo, coo-coo), I would have had you committed. As for Ohio State being No. 1? Let's just say I'm wearing my authentic red No. 7 Joey Galloway jersey loud and proud today.


Until next time…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You seriously have WAAAAY too much time on your hands. I wish I could watch TV,EVER! But then again, I'd watch The Colbert Report over, "How I met your Mother" any damn day. One kind word though, the name of your blog is pretty HOTT!