Thursday, October 25, 2007

More randomness… (written 10/5/07)

Random thoughts


I suck at bowling. I will soon be posting a "How Not To Bowl" column, which I'm trying to sell to one of the national bowling magazines. Last night at league, I was lucky to crack 100 in my last two games. Pretty feeble. I'm going to blame my hip for that…


I miss KG. Why'd you have to go? Oh yeah. Thanks Kevin McHale and Glen Taylor. Wonderful trade. Glad you got three cents on the dollar there. Great article on The Franchise on ESPN.com (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/trainingcamp07/news/story?page=RomanKGCeltics&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos2). I'm already penciling the Boston Celtics in the NBA Finals next spring. It's about time Garnett gets his due after spending 11 years with the Timberwolves with poor to middling and one decent supporting cast(s). (Shudder.) I just can't believe I'll be rooting for the Boston Celtics this year. I don't know why, but I always cheered for the Lakers in those great Bird-Magic matchups when I was a youngster. It's just not gonna be right watching KG wearing a green-and-white No. 5 this season.


Speaking of No. 5s. Mountain Iron's Matt Niskanen made his NHL debut on Wednesday night, playing 15 minutes for the Dallas Stars in a 4-3 loss to the Colorado Avalanche. Nisky didn't show up on the stat sheet with any points, shots or penalties, but he posted a plus/minus of 0, which is his team's goal differential when he was on the ice. Niskanen should be on the ice tonight as well when Dallas plays its home opener against the Boston Bruins.



Here's to Nisky picking up his first career point tonight.


OK. I'm a little bit late. But here's my vote for a Cleveland-Colorado World Series. I'm tired of whiny Cubbies fans and arrogant Yankees and Red Sox fans. I could care less about Arizona, and though I don't mind either Philly or the Angels, I just think a Rockies-Indians series would be fun. After all the Indians haven't won the World Series since 1948 and the last time they played in one, the lost in Game 7 to the Florida Marlins, who came into the league at the last expansion with the, you guessed it, Colorado Rockies. It would be Colorado's first-ever appearance in the World Series. Plus, it would tick off the networks to have two small-market teams playing for the title. And it's always fun to piss off big media companies.


By the way, not to jinx myself, but out of 32 teams in Flaimer's fantasy football league, I'm first (knock on wood) in the power rankings with 477 points in four weeks, 43 points better than the No. 2 guy. Now, usually I suck at fantasy football, because I pick with my heart rather than my head, but since it (my heart) is broken, it made it a lot easier this year!


Until next time…

No comments: