Thursday, January 3, 2008

Fallen angels and silver linings: Sizing up 2007

Finally. The holidays are over. Life returns to quasi-normal. I have recovered from temporary insanity. (At least I hope it was temporary.)

2007 was not a good year in sports in this guy's household. Or maybe it was. I haven't decided yet. Well let's figure this out.

We'll go with the bad news first.

The Fallen Angels: (Not that any of these were previously uplifted angels. It's the name of my blog. Work with me people.)

  • Mike Vick. He electrocuted and hung dogs. I have two dogs, KG and MJ, whom I love very much. Let's just say I don't approve. I only wish my level of revulsion was higher.
  • Torii Hunter. OK, he's not fallen, but he is now an Angel.
  • Marion Jones. Such a beautiful, charismatic girl. Such a phenomenal athlete. I so wanted to believe that those five golds in Sydney were legit.
  • Roger Clemens.
    I so don't believe your denials. There's plausible deniability. This ain't it.
  • Tim Brewster.
    He came in talking about bringing Gopher Nation to Pasadena. That Rose Bowl turf he brought in as a reminder of that goal sure withered fast during the worst season in Gopher football history. 1-11? Seriously? 1-11!
  • Brad Childress.
    As I recall, Mike Tice, who was undercut by a tightfisted owner with both his roster and his coaching staff, went 9-7 two years ago and won a playoff game at Lambeau Field the year before that. Congratulations, Major Dad. With a major upgrade on defense and the best rookie running back since, oh, Eric Dickerson, you guided the Vikings to a level of competence and mediocrity a notch below your hamstrung predecessor.
  • Kevin McHale.
    Well, at least he didn't give away KG. He got 20 cents on the dollar!
  • Carl Pohlad. Can't blame him for not spending any more money on payroll. He's not getting a brand-new, state-of-the-art, taxpayer-funded ballpark in 2010.
  • Barry Bonds*.
  • Floyd Landis. I really wanna believe you Floyd. And it's not just because I'm predisposed to distrust the French.
  • Tim Donaghy. As if enough people didn't already think the NBA was fixed. A ref betting on the games is great for the integrity of the game. (Meeting in the Commish's office, circa 1995. "Hmm, we got the Pacers and the Knicks in the Eastern Conference Finals. Well, boys, you know what to do. … If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere. New York, New York!) Not that I'm bitter or anything.
  • The BCS. Who out there wouldn't have liked to see Georgia or USC (the two hottest teams in the country right now) have a shot at the title? Nah, a playoff system won't work! My only consolation is if I live to see 80 (and I won't), there's a 1.5-percent chance that I'll see a college football playoff in my lifetime.
  • Brad May. That blindside sucker punch of mild-mannered Swede Kim Johnsson in last year's Stanley Cup playoffs was unconscionable. I hope you have nightmares of the Boogeyman, because he's coming to get you, you thug.

The Silver Linings:

I'm sure I'm forgetting a fallen angel here and a silver lining there, but then again 2007 wasn't exactly my bread-and-butter year. All in all, I think it comes out a wash. Well, better than a wash since I am the quintessential eternal optimist.

I always look for the silver lining. Cuz I'm Mr. Brightside.

No comments: