Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Oh, the memories go Pop

Up in smoke

Sad day after the bad fire last night on the 100 block of Chestnut St. Thankfully, no one was hurt in the blaze, set by some idiot who was upset with his girlfriend. And thankfully, he got caught. My heart goes out to the many who were displaced from their homes and their jobs by the fire that wrecked almost half a city block. I feel bad for Jeff Peterson or Popper as most people know him as. He's the best, most generous bar owner in town and has been a very good friend to me since I started hanging out there as a punk kid. (Some of you might still think I'm a punk kid, but that's an argument for another day.)

It hit home hard for me. Popper's Bar, which suffered severe smoke and water damage, was my home away from home, a place I could go and (almost) always feel welcome. For the past 10 years, I have hung out there and made many friends, played and help run the annual fantasy football league and even worked there for a spell prior to my accident earlier this year.

It was at Popper's that I met my beautiful wife Candice for the second time. We had dated briefly back when she was 18 and I was 20 and (my bad) went in different directions. (She carried rocks around in her car to throw at me after that and always said if she saw me, running me down would be so worth the dent.) It was almost eight years ago that I bumped into her again. I remember I was a little embarrassed because I was looking kind of scrubby, wearing some baggy orange cargo pants and a white t-shirt. She was wearing a cute little red jacket and carrying balloons, signifying a 21st birthday celebration. Naturally, I thought it was her birthday and went up and said hi and congrats to which she retorted, "It's not my birthday." Nevertheless, within a couple of months, we were an item and two-and-a-half years later, we were married (the happiest day of my life). We celebrated for a while that day at Popper's where Jeff brought us up a complimentary bottle of champagne. I also threw Candice a surprise 26th birthday party at Popper's. You should have seen her face when she walked in the door and saw banners and 50-some people waiting for her. She almost fell over. She had no clue. She said it was her best birthday ever.

Those are just a few of the special memories that I have of the place. Others include the myriad nights throwing league darts, just chilling with some of the coolest bartenders around over the years and the blurry night of my 30th birthday party. I met some of my closest friends there – Super Dave, Michelle, Billy, Garret, Jen, Bone, and of course Popper, amongst others – and had some of the best conversations ever there.

I'm sure it'll reopen in time, better than ever, but it just won't be the same. But my memories there will last a lifetime.

Basketball Miller

My little brother Mike, fresh off an outstanding senior season playing soccer at Calvary College in Kansas City, MO, decided to join the basketball team this year. While he's never had my outside touch, the kid is a whirling dervish of a scoring machine in the paint. The depleted Warriors might have a rough season, but I'm sure he'll enjoy the ride. I only wish I could join him. And a quick note, it was great to see my brothers Tim (up from Minneapolis) and Jon (up from the state of Wyoming) last weekend. Although, I had to give both of them bowling lessons, which for them had to be pretty scary. I miss my three little brothers, but not nearly as much as I miss my wife.

Until next time…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks. Popper is a great person, one of the nicest, most sincere guys I've ever met. The kind of guy who would do anything for anybody. He didn't deserve that and I hope he reopens.

Brandie said...

That is really sad and the people that commented in the MDN that no one should be sad because just another bar burned down should shut their mouths. Poppers was not "just another bar" to Jeff and alot of other people that have some great memories there like you do.

Anonymous said...

WHERE TO START the whole time was a great time. from playing drinking gold fish to sleeping on the pool table (more like passing out) to brad and popper having their argument. well i will stop there u get the idea